Pasty Butt

image

I noticed some pasty butt four days ago.  We started to remove their feed at night.  I think that is helping, but the problem needed more attention.  Today was the day.  We started by separating the problem chicks.  In the picture above, the group on the bottom are the problem chicks and the ones on top are all fine.

image

Most of the problem chicks are fairly minor like the one above.

image

This was the worst dingle berry in the bunch.  The vent is completely clear, fortunately.  We used warm soapy water and wash cloths as the main tool.   It took holding the wet cloth to the dingle berry for several minutes to loosen the dried poop and then we coated the affected area with olive oil with a Q-tip.  The process took about 2 hours for all the pasty butt chicks.  We kept the treated chicks separated from the others for the time of treatment and then released them with the others after that.  The hardest part was not to rush and pull too hard on the dingle berries and rip out feathers.  A few cases had minor wounds that look as though they will be okay.  We took the regular grain away and left them with ground oats that had been soaked in yogurt over night.  We hope the raw, living yogurt will help populate the little chick guts with beneficial flora in the absence of the mama hen.  We chose this over importing poop from our other mature hens for the chicks to eat so as not to introduce any pathogens/parasites/funky stuff that they may have.  We also added a tray of  soil and sand in a small container for the chicks to get some grit into their gizzards.  In the past, the brooder sat on a dirt floor and so I haven’t been concerned with grit, but now they are on a wood floor.  Hopefully all of this will help remedy the dreaded pasty butt.

image

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *