Garden carts and greenhouse dibbler

My night job is on hold while the renovations to the new building are finished.  It’s nice to have entire days to work on the long project list.  Here are two recent completions.

We brought three broken down carts with us when we moved from the Front Range.  I’m amazed we  survived the last two seasons without them.  Parts from the three carts, $100, and a little welding transformed them into two solid veggie hauling machines.  Over the past two years of production we used a cart with four small wheels and an expanded metal deck.  The 26” wheels on these beauties will make traveling across irrigation pipe and the uneven pasture much easier.

Caitlin is doing most of the greenhouse work herself this year.  She requested I make a dibbler to speed things up when seeding flats.  We are using black plastic 72 square cell trays.

The dibbler makes a 1/4 inch depression in each cell.  The seeds are placed in the depression and then lightly covered with soil mix.  This technique came to us from using a soil blocker that left a similar dibble.  When we have our own greenhouse we want to resume the soil blocks, but for now the plastic is a bit less labor intensive.

The base of the dibbler is 1/2″ plywood.  Each dibble is a 1/4″ x 1″ carrige bolt with 1/4″ lock washers and lock nuts.  As you can see in the picture some are 4 washers and a nut, some are 1 plain nut,  1 washer and 1 lock nut,  They are all the same dimension, but you get a little more metal for the money with the nuts.  The two bolts on the edge out of line with the rest are guides.

When making the dibbles, the two guide bolts hit the outside of the flat and the edge of the base lines up with the ribs of the flat.  The grid of bolts then is positioned to make the dibbles in the center of each cell.  This project cost about $10.  It was worth every penny in the amount of time it saves and the difference it makes in germinating seed.